[Spambayes] spambayes fronting a mailing list?

Rob W. W. Hooft rob at hooft.net
Thu Jan 16 14:34:35 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Rob> Doesn't it take time before the first spam arrives on a brand new
>     Rob> mailinglist? Spambayes' results are going to be real lousy if it is
>     Rob> trained on 200 ham and 0 spam messages....
>
> A couple of things come to mind:
>
>     1. Don't enable spambayes until you start having trouble

It is going to be too late....

>     2. With a proxytrainer/proxytee setup as I described in a previous
>        message you can seed it with a handful of spam you have laying about.
>        Just set your options to ignore stuff like sender and to while
>        training on those messages.

This sounds reasonable, but this can also be implemented as a "preloaded database" that comes with spambayes. This is something many people have already asked for.

>     3. Send your mailing list address directly to the spammers.  They'll
>        find it soon enough anyway. ;-)

www.spamsubmit.com? "Now submit your address to 100s of spam engines without all the hassle! Ever tried to get all spam messages first? Manually typed your address in at many spammer sites? Now, at spamsubmit.com we submit your address to 100s of spam engines without any efforts from you! Introductory price for this service is $99 for this month only!"

Rob
--
Rob W.W. Hooft  ||  rob at hooft.net  ||  http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/