[Spambayes] proxytrainer.py and proxytee.py are checked in

Thu Jan 16 11:57:05 EST 2003

1/16/2003 11:45:49 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>I just checked in proxytrainer.py and proxytee.py.  The former is
>essentially pop3proxy.py with the POP stuff removed.  I know this results in
>a large amount of code duplication, but a) it was the fastest way for me to
>get a GUI training interface without using POP, and b) maybe I can convince
>the pop3proxy advocates to slim it down by ripping out the user interface
>stuff. ;-) Proxytee.py is like the Unix tee program (copy stdin to stdout
>and an external file), except the "external file" is to upload the message
>or mailbox as a file to proxytrainer.py.
>
>I'm still experimenting with things, but should have proxytee.py embedded
>into my procmailrc file by the end of the day once I refresh my memory on
>flags and such.
>
>Come to think of it, hammiefilter.py could pretty easily be extended to do
>the file upload.  The core functionality is implemented in two functions
>Wade Leftwich posted to the Python Cookbook.  hmmm...

I think we're really onto something here, that's bothered me for a while now.
There is a core engine in all of this stuff that really should be packaged as
such.  Classifier, tokenizer, the corpus stuff, and the training stuff, is
basically it.  Corpus isn't up to the task yet, but with some rework it could
be made usable to hammiefilter, pop3proxy, outlook, proxytee, or any other
client type we can think up...

Richie and I have had a couple of offlist jabs at this, and I know Richie is
in the process of ripping pop3proxy apart into smaller components...  - TimS