[Spambayes] I did something stupid...

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Thu Jan 23 14:13:04 EST 2003

> From: Mark Hammond [mailto:mhammond at skippinet.com.au]
>
> > ...after setting up spambayes with Outlook XP (training,
> > telling it to watch the Inbox and move spam), I decided
> > the icons were too far to the right so I right-clicked
> > on the toolbar, dragged them down to the next line, and
> > then Outlook froze. In particular the customize dialog
> > was unresponsive (although I could still move icons
> > around on the
>
> I will try to repro this, but am busy for the next few days.

Thanks! (I hope I didn't imply that this was urgent, I'm fully aware of
what I'm doing when I'm using pre-release software and I'm very grateful
for any time you want to spend on someone who's not contributing :-)

> You may like to try the customize dialog, and hitting "Reset"
> on the toolbars.

Doing that, and re-running addin.py got me back up and running. When I
right clicked on the toolbar again (I just couldn't help myself <wink>),
the dialog box was again frozen, but this time I could close it with
Alt+F4. After I shut down and re-started Outlook, it looked to be
working.

> Otherwise, for the time being, wrap an exception handler around:
>
> >   File "D:\Transfer\spambayes-1.0a1\Outlook2000\addin.py",
> > line 470, in
> > _AddControl
> >     item = parent.Controls.Add(Type=control_type, Temporary=True)
>
> And just ignore it for now.

I will try that if it fails again...

Looking a little closer at addin.py, it looks like I was doing something
you were trying to prevent (461-464):

   [...temporary Toolbars...]
   # Maybe we should consider making them permanent - this would then
   # allow the user to drag them around the toolbars and have them
   # stick. The downside is that should the user uninstall this addin
   # there is no clean way to remove the buttons.  Do we even care?

I would obviously not care <wink>.

Also, at 395, the name of the Toolbar is named explicitly:

  toolbar = bars.Item("Standard")

whereas the second line of toolbar buttons is normally called
"Advanced", and the user could obviously have created custom toolbars
named anything they choose (not sure if this is relevant...)

-- bjorn