[Spambayes] Alpha 2 Release?

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Sat Jan 25 12:57:50 EST 2003

Hi François,

> >  o Various sundry improvements and bugfixes (including MacOS X support).
>
> Anything needed on this side for inclusion in documentation ?

I don't think so, unless there's anything MacOS-X-specific that you've run
across that you think people need to know?

> Just sent my "_pop3proxy.log" in separate mail to you.

Aha!  Thanks for that - I think I've solved it.  One of the extra POP3
features introduced by RFC 2449 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2449.html) is
pipelining, where by client can send lots of requests at once without
waiting for the responses.  The POP3 proxy can't cope with that, but your
POP3 server at pop.laposte.net is using it.

I've 'fixed' the proxy so that when the client asks for the capabilities of
the server, the proxy filters out the 'pipelining' capability - that should
prevent the client from trying to use pipelining.  You shouldn't see any
significant difference in speed, except maybe when doing lots of quick
operations together (eg. deleting hundreds of emails in one go) over a
high-latency connection.  If you still have problems, it could be that your
client is explicitly set up to use pipelining regardless of what the server
says - in that case, look for a configuration option called something like
"Use overlapped POP3 commands" and disable it.

Hope that works...

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com