[Spambayes] Oh, one other thing...

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Mon Jan 27 17:59:20 EST 2003

[Skip]
> This should probably be collapsed into just
>
>     :0 fw:
>     | hammiefilter.py -u
>
> with hammiefilter.py both passing the message along to pop3proxy.py for
> training, and getting the score from pop3proxy.py (the -u meant to imply
> "don't score it yourself, 'u'pload the message to pop3proxy and use the
> score it returns").
>
> Make sense?

Neale has already implemented a similar idea over XMLRPC, in hammiesrv and
hammiecli.  But making pop3proxy.py the server, rather than having another
process, would integrate well with the web interface and mean we had no
worries about database locking.  And folding proxytee into hammiefilter
sounds like a good plan too - they're essentially doing similar jobs ("Do
stuff with this message!").

There are advantages to using XMLRPC, eg. cross-language compatibility.
But Skip's upload system uses HTTP, which is pretty cross-language too.  I
don't know whether it would be easy to incorporate Neale's code into
pop3proxy - it would mean making Dibbler.py (the underlying HTTP layer)
understand XMLRPC.  Probably hard but I don't know.

I like the way Skip's going, letting hammie users use the web interface for
training.  Alongside Mark's Outlook plugin and Neale's Mutt (etc.) scripts,
it's looking like we're covering all the bases nicely - regardless of which
client you use, and whether you use hammie or pop3proxy to classify your
mail, you get a nice training interface either within your email client or
in your browser.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com