[Spambayes] Outlook plugin notes

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Wed Jan 29 08:21:04 EST 2003

Hokay.  I gave a talk on SpamBayes at work the week before the spam
conference, and now all these people are hopping up and down wanting to
run it.  One of our more tenacious tech writers installed the bugger and
hit me with a list of suggestions, which I said I'd pass on to you fine
folks.  So here you are.  Please excuse me if any of these are already
solved--she pulled down the released copy on our web page AIUI.

* In her words, "When you filter to an online folder, SpamBayes
  automatically disables filtering when you connect offline. What I
  would like is that when I reconnect, SpamBayes should automatically
  reenable filtering and run it against those folders. Now I have to do
  this manually."

* She says that the plugin is definitely not filtering public folders.

* Apparently Outlook comes with a "Junk Email" folder.  Instead of
  telling folks to create a "Spam Certain" folder, just have the plugin
  default to sending spam into the Junk folder where folks are used to
  filtering their spam already.

* She feels end-users need more education about what "spam-possible"
  means.

* The sliders in the configuration window should have tick marks.

* In the anti-spam dialog box:

  o  Enable filtering checkbox should be below filters, since you have
     to enable filtering before you can mess with the filters.

  o  The filters box needs a scrollbar, for those with a ton of folders
     to filter so you can see the text.

* Add a "spam column" in the anti-spam pulldown, so it's easy to add a
  new "spam %" column in the current folder view.

* She suggested deleting from public folders should go into a public
  spam folder.

And finally the one I find most intriguing:

* All outbound mail should be trained as ham

I really like this last one.  I don't know if anyone's ever thought of
training on outbound mail before.

Anyhow, that's all.  For the time being, feel free to use me as a
go-between.  I may demand she join this list if I have to relay too
much, though :)

Oh, and by the way, she really digs the Outlook plugin.  Like, her
diggatude is off the charts, that's how much she digs it.

Neale