[Spambayes] pop3proxy won't start after a reboot

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Jul 2 16:44:26 EDT 2003

> pop3proxy terminates with the following error after
> restarting the system
> (Windows 2000 Professional, Eudora 5.1.)
[...]
>    File "D:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON22\lib\shelve.py", line 71, in __getitem__
>      return Unpickler(f).load()
> EOFError
> Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "'NoneType' object has
> no attribute 'error'
> " in <bound method _Database.__del__ of <dumbdbm._Database
> instance at 0x008EB1A8 ignored

The first thing I would suggest is using something that isn't dumbdbm.
Either pickles, or install something like bsddb3 and use that.  Dumbdbm
is a fallback db system and might be the problem here - AFAIK, no-one
has really tested spambayes with dumbdbm.

> Renaming hammie.db.dir clears the problem. Any ideas? Is retraining
> necessary after deleting hammie.db.dir?

hammie.db.dir is the name of your database file, yes?  If you delete it,
then you lose all your training data, so yes retraining is necessary.
You should also delete the spambayes.messageinfo.db file as well.