[Spambayes] pop3proxy won't start after a reboot

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jul 2 09:40:00 EDT 2003

    Ed> pop3proxy terminates with the following error after restarting the
    Ed> system (Windows 2000 Professional, Eudora 5.1.)

    Ed> EOFError Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "'NoneType' object has
    Ed> no attribute 'error' " in <bound method _Database.__del__ of
    Ed> <dumbdbm._Database instance at 0x008EB1A8> ignored

I suggest you use something other than dumbdbm as the underlying database
file.  This problem has surfaced a couple times.  Dumbdbm is a "database of
last resort".  Precisely because of this it gets very little exercise and is
probably buggy.  You should install PyBSDDB and a version of Sleepycat's
Berkeley DB library to wedge under it.  Simply upgrading to Python
2.2.3 is not sufficient.  You can get PyBSDDB here:

Once you install it, Spambayes will start using it.

Am I the only person who thinks letting Spambayes use dumbdbm is a bad idea?

Skip