"UnicodeDecodeError" problem in Czech setup (WAS: [Spambayes] Re: Spambayes Digest, Vol 59, Issue 9)

Erik Piper erik at sky.cz
Sat Jul 5 13:44:01 EDT 2003

I don't have Python yet, because I'd been hoping to get by with just the
binary -- I'm not good at getting up and running on programming languages.
But I'll be happy to help in the name of science. I've started the download,
rates are cheap now, so I'll probably download it all now. Let me know what
kind of experiments I should run.

I noticed the Python 2.3b engine is a beta -- anything really odd in its
behavior (from the standpoint of a layman) I'll need to know about?

For the moment, here's some info on the profile name and application
directory

Profile name: I hope this is the same as an "account"... it's been a long
time since I worked in English Outlook. I have just one account on my home
machine, and it's a dialup account named mail.sky.cz.

"Application directory" -- here are some wild stabs...

Directory where application is located: C:\program files\microsoft
office\office\

The "Application Data" root directory in Czech Win2K is localized, and thus
C:\documents and settings\<username - in this case administrator>\Data
aplikací.
(In case the diacritical marks don't come through right: the last character
is an i with an acute accent.)

Note that the Addins subdirectory's name is also localized, and the
localized name includes one of the technically more troublesome characters
in Czech: an n with a hacek. By "technically most troublesome," I am
referring to the fact that generally, if an application handles Czech
accented characters well, but has trouble with just a few, n-with-hacek is
among those few.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Erik