[Spambayes] possible new bug related to Outlook filters

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 23:38:18 EDT 2003

[Dan Thompson]
> So, just when is a message checked for Spam, before or after the
> Outlook filters?

I'm afraid only Microsoft could answer that one -- exactly when Outlook
rules trigger doesn't appear to be documented, and in the early days I know
I saw strong evidence that sometimes Outlook 2000 told spambayes about a msg
when it first came into the inbox, then moved the message to a different
folder *while* spambayes was scoring it.  Sometimes Outlook doesn't tell
spambayes about an incoming msg at all, although that only appears to happen
when I'm running another CPU-intensive program at the same time.  And
sometimes Outlook appears to tell spambayes about a msg when it first
arrives in the inbox, and again after an Outlook rule moves it.  In short,
Outlook doesn't appear to feed msgs to spambayes in a consistent order with
respect to when its own rules subsytem runs (note that there's a narrow
programmer interface into the Outlook rules subsystem, too narrow for the
spambayes addin to use -- spambayes uses a different gimmick to find out
about new messages; life would certainly be easier for everyone if Outlook
supported adding a "run spambayes" rule to its rule subsystem).