[Spambayes] Combining SpamBayes with SPEWS (and similar) resources?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jul 8 21:28:34 EDT 2003

> Obviously only possible with POP3/IMAP based email, but I was
> wondering if there was any value in adding SPEWS and similar
> blacklists support to SpamBayes.

Not from what you said below <wink>

> I have noticed a HUGE, DRAMATIC (etc, you get the idea ;-)
> reduction in spam
> after I started to use SpamBayes so I'm quite happy with the way it
> currently works

Me too (except for virus and "fake" bounce notifications - but I use a
similar tool to deal with them)

> - I was just wondering if there was any
> benefit in adding
> the above.  Of the 30+ spams I get daily there's maybe the
> odd one or two
> that SpamBayes misses - I can cope with that, especially as
> it has yet to
> file a false "definite spam" positive after a week of training ;-).

>From most of the developers POV, you answered your own question.  It works
well enough that we don't need the overhead of additional features not
related to the orignal project.

Maybe what the world needs is a generic "mail filter" system that somehow
knows to tie all of these "indicators" together (see, eg, the request for
similar SpamAssasin integration), and knows what to do - but I don't think
SpamBayes wants to become such a system.

But-it-could-be-an-offshoot <wink> ly,

Mark.