[Spambayes] Bug report, feedback

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Thu Jul 10 19:15:01 EDT 2003

Hi Lauri,

> First of all, congratulations on an excellent program.

Always nice to hear from a happy customer!

> I get:
> [traceback]
> Now, that doesn't tell me much, but it might to you :)

It tells me two things: one is that yes, I think your database is
corrupted, although someone with more knowledge of storage.py might correct
me on that.  You might find you can export the database using dbExpImp.py
and re-import it (again using dbExpImp.py).

The other thing it tells me is that you should install either Python 2.3
(which is still in beta, so perhaps you don't want to do that) or install
pybsddb - you can get a binary installer from pybsddb.sf.net.  Because
you're using Python 2.2 with no pybsddb, you're using 'dumbdbm' as the
storage mechanism, which is not very robust.  pybsddb (or the version of it
that comes bundled with Python 2.3) is much more stable.

If you do try exporting an re-importing, it may be the case that you need
to export it *before* installing pybsddb, and re-import afterwards.

Hope that helps, and many thanks for the detailed error report.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com