[Spambayes] Notes on MacOS

John W. Noerenberg II jwn2 at qualcomm.com
Thu Jul 10 18:42:14 EDT 2003

At 11:47 AM +1200 7/11/03, Tony Meyer wrote:
>  > We're very interested in seeing additional
>>  implementations of probabilistic filters for Eudora.
>
>Feel free to not answer this, but why?  Do you think that the Eudora
>filtering isn't adequate?

There's considerable interest in these kinds of filters these days.
If there's a better or more reliable technique than what will be in
Eudora 6.0, anyone should be able to take advantage of it.

>   (I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't see
>why adding a feature already present is a good idea).

(No offense taken)

>   Do you plan to
>adopt a better filter if someone develops one?

Speaking for myself, if I find a better plug-in for spam filtering
than what appears on www.eudora.com, I'm certainly going to use it.
<grin>

>Are you interested only in the MacOS version, or for Eudora in
>general (the subject only talks about the mac and not Eudora, the
>body talks
>about Eudora and not the mac...)?

My original post was written in reaction to what I saw on the MacOS
support page.  I hadn't looked at the Windows page, but I see now, it
doesn't mention Eudora either.  I'm a Mac guy, so I think first of
that.  But of course this applies to Eudora in general.

>   From a (very!) cursory glance at the
>architecture notes, there shouldn't be much difference between the
>platforms in creating the plugin.  (See also Skip's post).

Yes.  The plug-in architecture is nearly identical on both Mac and Windows.

>  >I'll join in the discussion after doing some lurking and reading.
>I have some
>  > catching up to do. <grin>

(Hmmm.  If I'm supposed to be lurking until I figure out what's going
in with spambayes, I'm doing a bad job of it. <grin>)

>Be sure to look at the testing setup.  It would be fasincating to have a
>comparison of the current Eudora filtering and spambayes, if you have a
>setup that allows this.

Gathering some data to compare different implementations is very much
in my mind.

--

john noerenberg
jwn2 at qualcomm.com