[Spambayes] Eudora (was "no subject")

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Jul 11 08:11:04 EDT 2003

[Van]
> multiple mail servers [...] I couldn't think of how that would work.

[Tony]
> It works by proxying on different ports.

[Van]
> I can see how that works, but the configuration suggests that you can put
> multiple mail servers in a single instance of the proxy. That's the part
> that I don't grok, and it seems it would be a definite advantage to have
> them running together in some cases. Of course, if they all review the same
> messages and feed the same database it makes no difference.

Depends what you mean by "a single instance".  There's only ever one
pop3proxy *process* using this system, and it listens and serves on
multiple ports simultaneously.  The web user interface is also served
simultaneously by the same process.  And of course this single process uses
a single database.

We have had reports that some versions of Eudora don't let you configure
different ports on the same machine for different POP3 accounts.  Here's
the workaround (taken from my Linux Journal supplement page at
http://www.entrian.com/spambayes/):

*Running multiple proxies on the same port*

Some email clients (notably Eudora) don't let you set different ports for
different POP3 servers. This is problem for Spambayes, because the POP3
proxy can only talk to one server per port. The workaround for this is to
assign multiple addresses to your machine, and run one proxy per address.
Here's an example (for MacOS X, but it should work similarly on any
Unix-based platform). It runs two POP3 proxies, both on port 110 but on
different local addresses:

    #!/bin/sh
    sudo ifconfig lo0 inet 127.0.0.2 add
    sudo python pop3proxy.py

And in bayescustomize.ini:

    pop3proxy_servers = pop3.example1.com, pop3.example2.com
    pop3proxy_ports = 127.0.0.1:110, 127.0.0.2:110

Hope that helps,

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com