[Spambayes] illegal header tanks SpamBayes

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jul 12 12:29:42 EDT 2003

[Tim]
> The failure is peculiar for a different reason:  The msg began

> and, specifically, the letter 'X' was the first character in
> the string, but
> the exception at the end was
>
>  email.Errors.HeaderParseError: Continuation line seen before
> first header
>
> Those don't jibe together.  That is, X-MS-Mail-Gibberish was the first
> header line, and there's obviously no continuation line before it.  We
> *expect* that specific exception only if the first line the
> email pkg sees
> begins with whitespace.
>
> Since nobody else has reported this (at least not that I'm
> aware of), it
> makes me wonder whether Bobby's Python or email pkg
> installation is hosed.

I have seen something similar on my machine!  The specific error IIRC was
"not a header, not a continuation", but it had a very strange symptom.

As you can from the log, the addin prints a complete repr() of the failed
message string.  One particular message I decided to look into - a quick
scan of the repr'd string gave no clues.  So I extracted the text into a
Python string, and sure enough, the email package processed it just fine!

At which point I again got distracted and didn't get any further :(

Not-that-this-helps ly,

Mark.