[Spambayes] illegal header tanks SpamBayes

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Jul 11 23:28:24 EDT 2003

[Tim]
>> The failure is peculiar for a different reason:  The msg began

>> 2.0\r\n  Received: from memex ...
>>
>> and, specifically, the letter 'X' was the first character in the
>> string, but the exception at the end was
>>
>>  email.Errors.HeaderParseError: Continuation line seen before first
>> header
>>
>> Those don't jibe together.  That is, X-MS-Mail-Gibberish was the
>> first header line, and there's obviously no continuation line before
>> it.  We *expect* that specific exception only if the first line the
>> email pkg sees begins with whitespace.
>>
>> Since nobody else has reported this (at least not that I'm aware
>> of), it makes me wonder whether Bobby's Python or email pkg
>> installation is hosed.

[Mark Hammond]
> I have seen something similar on my machine!  The specific error IIRC
> was "not a header, not a continuation", but it had a very strange
> symptom.

That's a very different exception, though <wink>.

> As you can from the log, the addin prints a complete repr() of the
> failed message string.

Indeed yes!  From GetEmailPackageObject(), and it prints the repr() of
exactly the string passed to email.message_from_string().  That should be a
great diagnostic tool.

> One particular message I decided to look into - a quick scan of the
> repr'd string gave no clues.  So I extracted the text into a Python
> string, and sure enough, the email package processed it just fine!

Turns out we're having better luck here:  I extracted Bobby's repr(), and it
dies with the error reported, under both 2.2.3 and current 2.3 CVS.  I
expect it's a bug in the email pkg, and I'll dig into it.  Are you sure you
used the same email package your spamabyes installation was using?  It's
changed quite a bit across releases.