[Spambayes] 3 problems

Robert Neuschul robert at imagine.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 09:37:21 EDT 2003

Hi Tony,

> Do you mean can you connect remotely?  If so, then yes, just use the

Thanks - now sussed. Security in this case isn't an issue here: strongly
controlled by other means, including IPCHAINS and Sonicwall.

> What happens if you telnet to localhost:25?  (or whatever port you have
> it proxying at).  Do you get the same thing as if you telnet to
> smtp.yourmailserver.com:25?

Same thing either way: nothing unless I explicitly run the smtpproxy.py
script at the command line. Which is a change in operations status that I
don't understand: for the last 5 days SMTP proxy has been running as part
of the overall config - and working fine.
Or more accurately I should say - my mail client has been successfully
sending and receiving messages whilst I thought it was configured for
Spambayes; it's possible I had screwed up and then "fixed" something in
the mail client SMTP settings and that Spambayes has never been proxying
the smtp stuff. If that's the case then it's likely that installing and
then starting the pop3proxy_service.py script under W2K does not in fact
run the smtpproxy.py script.

Assuming that the smtp section of the ini file lists the smtp service
listener on port 25 I'm now not entirely clear whether I should be
expecting the smtp proxy to start natively when the pop proxy service
starts. For the time being I have it running through a startup batch
command, which works more or less as expected; but I don't much like
leaving a server logged in at the desktop.

> This should give you enough information to add the appropriate details
> to your config file.

Yup: many thanks; had I actually devoted just a leeetle more time to
studying the FAQ and comprehending what it was telling me I think I'd have
eventually worked that one out. I failed to comprehend that it was
actually telling me to open python's command prompt first, before trying
to get at the options. As it is, thanks for putting up with dumb newbie.

Robert.