[Spambayes] Question (or possibly a bug report)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jul 22 16:25:11 EDT 2003

> Mark (Hammond), does that ship with some subset of Python 2.3?

Yep.

> The problem is that, for some reason I don't know, tempfile
> is using a Unix
> version of the _set_cloexec function.  This must come from
> Python 2.3, since
> Python's tempfile module didn't have any such function before 2.3.
>
> The only way I know for sure this can happen is if the
> environment variable
>     PYTHONCASEOK
>
> is set on your box

I just discovered another way - some dumb tool decided to compile "FCNTL.py"
down to "fcntl.pyc", therefore confusing things royally :(

I'm not completely sure who actually did that, as I have been doing lots
with "embedded" Python's lately.  Just to complicate matters further, it
also appears that McMillan's installer is also making this same mistake -
but it is not the thing that wrote the bad .pyc file into my Python lib
directory.

So, it appears:
1) Somehow I got an "fcntl.pyc" in my main Python directory.  This wreaked
havoc for a number of things.  Deleting all the .pyc files in this directory
gave me the expected FCNTL.pyc
2) Looking at the McMillan installer logs (*after* fixing the above), I see
it has packaged up "{my-python-lib}\fcntl.py" along with
"{my-python-lib}\fcntl.pyc" - which do not exist.  It appears to be
confusing the upper case versions which *do* exist.

It is safe to assume (1) happened between me releasing 003 and 004.  2) is
much stranger - I haven't touched anything related to installer since then.
It doesn't make sense to me how 003 worked for anyone.

*sigh* - I'll try and track this down and put out 005.

> (BTW, I hate these abbreviated tracebacks.)

Very soon I hope to ship with most .py/c files in .zip files - that will fix
this problem in a much cleaner way.  Note the "hacked" filename is to
prevent the "please insert a disk" for those poor users with a removable E:.

BTW, I (still) hate Python's insistence on using case sensitive filenames
<WINK>

Mark.