[Spambayes] Filtering non-mail items: seems like a good idea

Hoffman, Glenn W glenn.w.hoffman at lmco.com
Wed Jul 23 12:28:00 EDT 2003

Mark,

> NDRs from *external* sources are still simply mail items, and are
> still scored for spam in the normal way.

The NDR I received was from an external source, but was not scored.
So I assumed ...

> The NDR I am referring to are ones generated by an Exchange Server.
> In that case, the mail never left the system.  Bounce reports from
> internet mail servers should still be processed normally.

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

> If an item has a Spam score, it has been processed.  Messages that
> are skipped will have no score at all.

So, the mystery is why the message in question was not scored.  I have
seen other messages not be scored, so it is not an isolated case.

Hmmm... I tried "Show spam clues for current message" on the NDR, and
it said "No mail items are selected". Which in at least one sense is
true: the icon next to the item in Outlook's window is not an envelope
but rather a tracking symbol (a tiny circle with a red checkmark within
and some wavy lines streaming off to the right).

I am suspecting that our corporate Exchange setup converts incoming
SMTP into proper Exchange objects before delivering them to the server
from which I access my mail. In the Received headers I see things like
"CONVERSION-DAEMON" as the name of one of the internal relays, and
"Microsoft SMTPSVC" on another. If so, would this spoil the distinction
between external and internal sources of NDR?

Glenn