[Spambayes] Filtering non-mail items: seems like a good idea

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Jul 24 09:43:24 EDT 2003

> Hmmm... I tried "Show spam clues for current message" on the NDR, and
> it said "No mail items are selected". Which in at least one sense is
> true: the icon next to the item in Outlook's window is not an envelope
> but rather a tracking symbol (a tiny circle with a red
> checkmark within
> and some wavy lines streaming off to the right).

Yep - they are the ones I was talking about as being only "internal".
Clearly I was wrong to some extent at least.

> I am suspecting that our corporate Exchange setup converts incoming
> SMTP into proper Exchange objects before delivering them to
> the server
> from which I access my mail. In the Received headers I see things like
> "CONVERSION-DAEMON" as the name of one of the internal relays, and
> "Microsoft SMTPSVC" on another. If so, would this spoil the
> distinction
> between external and internal sources of NDR?

I'm not sure.  At the lowest level, we only process items with the MAPI
class of "IPM.Note".  All NDRs I have seem are "Report.Note....".

Certainly if you can demonstrate that spam starts coming through with this
new "feature" we had better rethink it.

Mark.