[Spambayes] Pop3proxy training suddenly quit working - pop3proxy is incompatible with fetchmail!

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Mon Jul 28 19:48:14 EDT 2003

[Skip]
> I think Richie knows about the
> problem and is thinking about how to solve the problem properly.

He does, and he is.  8-)

I think the answer, sadly, is to special-case "TOP 1 99999999".  I don't
think caching messages for TOP is correct, but fetchmail is too widespread
to ignore.  I'll do this RSN unless anyone objects or comes up with a
better idea.

[David]
> I'm curious whether anyone plans on making pop3proxy work with fetchmail
> [...] I don't know how these decisions get made...

Anarchy, mostly.  8-)

99% of development is driven by two things.  The main factor is people
scratching their own itch - I wrote the pop3proxy because spambayes was
clearly going to be the best spam filter around, but at the time it only
worked with unix MTAs and I was on Windows (and I don't use Outlook).  The
second factor is pride - once people have developed some code, they want
it to flourish, and they don't like to live with the knowledge that it's
flawed.  I'm beginning to be skeptical about the third reason - the fame,
fortune, and knicker-hurling groupies have as yet failed to appear.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com