[Spambayes] Changing the location of the database/settings files

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jun 12 17:43:31 EDT 2003

> I'm guessing this has been discussed somewhere before, but I
> was unsuccessful in my attempt to find anything about it.
> Currently using Outlook 2000 and Windows XP, my directory for
> the Spambayes user files is "C:\Documents and
> Settings\username\Application Data\SpamBayes\".  Because I
> sometimes log in to a Terminal Server, it'd be nice to move
> the files to a network drive.

There's nothing explicit, but you could try:

1.  Spambayes goes by what Windows says is the best place to store data.
If you set the Windows Application Data directory to a network drive,
then Spambayes will store the data there.  This would effect many
programs, of course.

2.  If Spambayes can't use the Application Data directory then it uses
the Spambayes folder itself, which you could probably put on a network
drive.

3.  If you use the source instead of the binary installer (not all that
much harder to install, really), then you can make a change to the
source and store the data wherever you like.  You need to change the
"LocateDataDirectory" function in manager.py (line 241 in current cvs)
to simply return a full path to the directory you want.

4.  The SpamAtBay beta might offer this (I'm not sure) since it's in
line with the sort of thing that they're adding to Spambayes.  Email
Sean True (see the archives) for a beta, or asking about it.

5.  Someone else asked for this recently, so a future release might
offer this.  You can add a feature request via the sourceforge page
(http://sf.net/projects/spambayes) - requests via the list stand a
reasonable chance of being lost.

HTH.