[Spambayes] Re: Eliminating many malformed spams

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jun 19 17:54:47 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 12:30, Steve Holden wrote:
> Hi. Time for my latest observation, which is that while spambayes is
> great (especially when integrated with Outlook, for this Windows user)
> there seem to be a number of automated mailing systems that generate
> malformed messages. I am beginning to suspect they may do it
> deliberately to foil attempts at despamming.

If that was truly the case, and we could count on proper RFC compliance
by all legitimate mailing systems, then you could just throw all
non-parseable message into the spam folder and be done with it, right?

Still, I understand there are times when you really want to be able to
parse any random stream of characters <wink> into a mail message
object.  Anthony Baxter is hard at work on a more lenient parser that
should improve the rate of parseable messages.  I think any application
though has to be prepared to handle un-parseable messages, as we'll
never get it to 100%.

-Barry