[Spambayes] RE: Eliminating many malformed spams

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Thu Jun 19 22:36:48 EDT 2003

Barry,

> Yeah, but here's the beauty of it - if you start throwing malformed
> messages in the trash, or better yet, rejecting them at SMTP time,
> you will accomplish two goals.  You'll provide a great incentive to
> legitimate senders to start making sure their messages are properly
> formed and you'll be building an incentive against spammers.

This is one of the reasons that I was a trifle reluctant to vote in
favor of having the non-strict parser be the default parser in the
email module. There's an unlimited number of ways for a message to be
broken. It seems a trifle unreasonable that every time someone
discovers a new sort of brokenness that a popular MUA will parse,
that that becomes a bug in the email module. Still, I voted in favor
because I think that people will demand it.

Regards,
Matt