[Spambayes] corruption of hammie.db ?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Jun 26 17:02:57 EDT 2003

    Gerald> I'm running Win98SE, the installed versin of Python is 2.2.3.
    Gerald> I've installed Spambayes 1.0a3 a few days ago and I'm running
    Gerald> pop3proxy.

    Gerald> Everything runs very smoothly and I was very statisfied by spam
    Gerald> filtering for the first 5 days.  An hour ago, something strange
    Gerald> seemed to have happened and pop3proxy doesn't start any more....

    Gerald> EOFError
    Gerald> Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "'NoneType' object has no attribute
    Gerald> 'error' " in <bound method _Database.__del__ of <dumbdbm._Database instance at 0x00ED45C0> ignored

    Gerald> Is there a known bug, making the hammie.db corrupt ?

My guess is it's a bug in dumbdbm.  I strongly suggest you either install
PyBSDDB (aka bsddb3) or switch to the pickle format instead of the db
format.  Dumbdbm is meant to be a last resort sort of fallback for the
anydbm/shelve modules.  I don't think anyone here has tested Spambayes using
it, because essentially every platform has available some better db file
implementation available.  I wouldn't rely on it for something as important
as your email.

Skip