[Spambayes] Server error when training in POP3proxy

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Tue Mar 4 10:29:57 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 15:38, Mike Scott wrote:
> After using it successfully for a couple of weeks, POP3proxy is
> throwing the following error when I try to review emails for training
> in the web browser interface. The rest of the web browser interface,
> and POP3proxy, seems to be working OK. Does anyone who knows more than
> me about POP3proxy have any ideas for how to diagnose or fix it? I've
> just pulled the most recent update from CVS, which hasn't helped. I'm
> on Mac OS X 10.2.4 running Python 2.2.2, in case it's relevant.

I saw the same problem and filed a spambayes bug report.  The funny
thing is, I wrote a script to scan the unknown cache and found three
messages that caused the problem.  The messages were all generated from
a sourceforge bug report for python.  The bug report was that some MIME
text caused the email package to barf -- and the bug report included an
example of the input the caused the problem.

The bug report was carefully crafted to cause any tool that used the
email package to fail.

I think the right solution is not just to fix the email package, but to
make pop3proxy more robust.  It should expect that the email package may
fail unexpectedly.  In those cases, it should not fail catastrophically.

Jeremy