[Spambayes] full o' spaces

Sat Mar 8 16:38:08 EST 2003

3/8/2003 3:18:55 PM, Paul Moore <lists at morpheus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Ok, I'm off my soapbox. <smile>  This has been a great discussion.
>
>Can I borrow that box for a moment? Thanks... :-)

I yield the floor.

>1. It works. Really well.
>2. It learns what you consider spam, and acts on that.
>3. It's been tested on thousands of spam, with error rates so low as
>   to be negligible.
>4. You do need to maintain it - a little ongoing training helps (but
>   it's not a major task, and if you don't bother, you're still going
>   to get very impressive results)
>5. Er. But it's a bit rough around the edges still. I'll help you
>   install it, if you like.
>
>Notice (5). That's what is killing us right now with real people (me,
>I'm a figment of your imagination: be very afraid <wink>). Anything
>else is minor.

Absolutely.

>If you liken the spambayes
>approach to an anti-virus strategy, it suddenly looks much better :-)

Hmmm... interesting analog, but it only goes so far.  Viruses would be a
vastly smaller threat had microsoft engaged in the strategy that I'm arguing
for.  Trojans, worms, etc... the face of the online world would be
considerably different had they invested in building fundamentally secure
systems...

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org