[Spambayes] SpamBayes

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Mar 9 14:39:53 EST 2003

I'm just trying out the SpamBayes proxy software now; seems like a very
good idea.

However, I've had some problems with the program tending to have a total
nervous breakdown any time its data structure gets in any way different
from what it expects, like the database index getting corrupted due to a
system crash, or some of the inbound messages getting deleted by a virus
scanning program during processing.  It seems you haven't programmed any
sort of graceful recovery when any data file becomes missing or
corrupted, but just crash the script altogether.  Once, the proxy
wouldn't even start at all due to some data error and I had to wipe its
data files out entirely and start over.  Other times (like when the
virus scanner kills a message in between it being downloaded and being
reviewed for ham/spam training purposes), a message will show in the
list of messages to review, but when you try to do anything with it, the
program crashes.  This process needs improving to reach a level of
robustness needed to use in a production environment rather than just
for testing and experimentation purposes.

--
== Dan ==