[Spambayes] pop3proxy HEADER_EXAMPLE and HEADER_FORMAT

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 12 17:00:41 EST 2003

It seems to me that saying that a message is bigger than it actually is is *not* a problem, but the reverse would be (if, for example, memory was set aside for it).  So X-Spambayes-MailID is easy, X-Spambayes-Level is easy, X-Spambayes-Prob is easy, and X-Spambayes-Classification is easy.  X-Spambayes-Evidence is the tricky one.

> One idea here is to add the headers willy-nilly, then
> determine the length of the resulting header text.

I'm not sure I get what you are suggesting here.

> Another would be to place an upper boundary on how
> much text we will add to the headers, report a header that
> size, and make sure we never exceed that size.  If we do,
> we could drop headers in some sort of priority order
> until we're under the limit.

I guess we could limit the number of words in the evidence, and if more are present, just not include them (or include a "...", or "too many words! go to the web ui!" message).

> You *could* do a test with all those mailers you have
> installed and see if any of them *use* stat...  If you set
> options.verbose = True, pop3proxy produces a log of all
> the interactions it proxys...

<sigh>  I supposed I could, at that.

[HEADER_FORMAT]
> I don't see that there's any value to this field...

Nor do I.  +1 to deleting it, then.  It's certainly been a long time since it was used in pop3proxy.