[Spambayes] wanted: malformed email messages.

David Leftley spambayes at djl.freeuk.com
Thu Mar 13 11:22:57 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:39:53 +1100, Anthony Baxter
<anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

>If you've got spam that breaks python's email parser in some way, don't
>just gripe - send it to me. I'm going to make a fairly serious go at
>seeing what I can do to make the email parser more robust, and also make
>sure it notes what it had to do in order to get the message to parse
>(these notes will almost certainly be very good clues).

I was just about to send some messages that the Outlook plugin was
choking on. These messages have malformed headers, either with
unexpected lines of Base64 or header lines broken across several
lines.

But having just upgraded to version 2.5b1 of the email package, all
the dodgy messages I have received to date are now processed without
errors. The only further improvement I would like to see regarding
these messages is to try and decode the Base64 in the headers rather
than just discarding it - currently I have a few spam messages with
very low scores, presumably because spambayes has thrown away all the
clues in the body of the message.

David.