[Spambayes] Storing Options

Thu Mar 13 07:33:09 EST 2003

3/12/2003 10:45:12 PM, "Meyer, Tony" <T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

>Ignoring the fact that it's scattered throughout the code base, does anyone
like the current method of getting options?

>What I personally do not like (in order of dislike):
>* That sections are ignored, leading to names like pop3proxy_servers.
>
>* Updating the options object does not update the underlying ConfigParser
(now UpdatableConfigParser ;) object, so a write() (or update()) will not
write the updated values.

>* Having all the defaults in Options.py, rather than a much simpler default
config file (IIRC the reason for folding the file in was so that it didn't
matter which directory you were running from, but the envar should take care
of that, yes?)

The only thing I really like about Options.py is the cracker, which returns an
object of the correct type given the stringness, numberness, or booleanness of
the option.

>I know I'm not completely alone here, but I'd like to know if there are lots
of people (or even a few of the right people ;) that like it as it is.  If
people (a) don't care, or (b) also don't like it, then I'll try and come up
with a better scheme (and present it before making any changes!).

+1 for me.