[Spambayes] Re: wanted: malformed email messages.

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Mar 13 14:25:09 EST 2003

David Leftley <spambayes at djl.freeuk.com> writes:

(...)
> But having just upgraded to version 2.5b1 of the email package, all
> the dodgy messages I have received to date are now processed without
> errors.  (...)

I had similar behavior - I started getting a large rash of messages
that would fail to parse due to bad continuation lines (often
containing HTML comments or some such noise in the headers).  In my
case I actually switched to Python 2.3a2 for the add-in (which looks
like it has 2.5a1 of the e-mail package) and all the parsing problems
went away.

So at the very least, I think we would want to stress the need to be
using a very current email package, since for me in the span of a few
days I went from having an occasional such message to having a good
percentage each day (must have been a new format some spam-bot is
using or something).

In the context of the Outlook plugin, it also made me think that it
might be nice if the plugin didn't abort on an individual message
failure, but kept working on any remaining messages so as to at least
process as many as possible.

-- David