[Spambayes] Email Certificates of Approval

Robert Woodhead trebor at animeigo.com
Fri Mar 14 07:01:47 EST 2003

At 9:23 PM -0800 3/13/03, T. Alexander Popiel wrote:
>In message:  <a05210232ba96d114ee44@[192.168.1.101]>
>              Robert Woodhead <trebor at animeigo.com> writes:
>>>
>>>On the latency issue [...]
>>
>>You're missing something.  From the standpoint of an enduser, it
>>doesn't matter how fast the spam gets to his mailserver.  All that
>>matters is how long it is between the start of the spam run and the
>>time his mailreader downloads the email from the mailserver and
>>checks its reputation.  For most email users, this averages several
>>hours, enough time for the earlybirds who check their email every 5
>>minutes to vote on the reputation.
>
>So... the people who form the basis for the judgements of the
>system (those that check their email every 5 minutes) are exactly
>those people who get no benefit from it (because there hasn't
>yet been enough input to form a good judgement).  Sounds like
>there's no incentive to participate and actually make the system
>work.

Not quite, it's a probabilistic thing.  Someone who checks their
email every 5 minutes is more likely to look at it before an opinion
has been formed, but it is not a sure thing.  It all depends on
whether they were early or late in the spam run, for example.

Again, keep in mind this is not intended to be a be-all-end-all
method.  It is intended to be part of a suite of methods used to make
life hard for the spammer.  I'll repeat the mantra: orthogonality.

>It also doesn't do a bloody thing for those of us who get their
>mail delivered realtime to the *nix mailserver with procmail
>segregating it into MH mailboxes (or similar).  Yeah, I know it's
>horribly anachronistic to actually have a login account on the
>mailserver and not use POP or IMAP... but it's far easier to
>grep through 30000 message mailboxes that way.  I suppose there's
>not many of us classic users left, though.

True.  You neanderthals will simply have to suffer.  ;^)