[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Mar 31 22:51:03 EST 2003

>>> "Phillip J. Eby" wrote
> Won't this just convince spammers that:
>
> 1) Their spam is "working", because "people are clicking on the link", and

So? More fool them - hopefully they'll spend more money on this useless
technique, and go broke, sooner.

> 2) If there's a unique ID in the URL, it will confirm that your address is
> live and that you're a sucker for whatever it is they mailed you.  :)

I figure there's little or no point to trying to hide addresses from
spammers. Unless you never ever post to a mailing list, or to anyone
off-site, and you've got a non-obvious username, they're going to get
your address anyway.

> Of course, I also suppose it's possible that if enough people install a
> spam filter that works this way, the resulting "spambayes effect" might
> crash a few of their servers.  :)

Well, if nothing else, the useless load on their webserver helps push a
little of the cost of spam back towards the spammer.

Anthony