[Spambayes] Spambayes/procmail

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Mar 31 10:27:29 EST 2003

    Dave> I want to set up spambayes to work with procmail on my mail
    Dave> server.  Does anyone have experience with that?

Dave,

I use spambayes with procmail.  The major issue is generally not one of
getting messages classified, but of getting them trained.  Here are the
relevant bits out of my procmailrc file:

    PYCKSUM=$HOME/local/bin/pycksum
    HAMMIE=$HOME/local/bin/hammiefilter.py
    BAYESCUSTOMIZE=$HOME/hammie.opt

    :0 fw:hamlock
    | $HAMMIE -d $HOME/hammie.db

    :0
    {
        ### this recipe gobbles items with matching body checksums (taken
        ### loosely to try and avoid obvious tricks)
        :0 W: cksum.lock
        | $PYCKSUM -v $HOME/tmp/cksum.cache

        ### spam scores come in two flavors - equal to 1.00 and less than
        ### 1.00 scores are much more likely to be real spam, so require
        ### less sifting - therefore keep them separate
        :0:
        $SPAM1

        :0:
        $SPAM
    }

    :0
    unsure

You can dispense with the PYCKSUM stuff, though I find it does delete a fair
number of duplicate spams.  I get email for a large number of aliases at the
same address however.  YMMV.  I've attached the version of the script which
I use.  It's similar to the loosecksum.py script in the Spambayes utilities
directory, but incorporates the ideas Justin Mason detailed about the
SpamAssassin checksummer.

Skip