[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at wolfskeep.com
Mon Mar 31 14:15:29 EST 2003

In message:  <3E893DA7.31420.20D35DB at localhost>
             "Richard Jowsey" <richard at jowsey.com> writes:
>> We have to be careful with this.  It would be relatively simple to
>> stymie, by simply adding two urls, the spam one, and an unrelated
>> innocent site.  Or three urls, or whatever...
>
>Spammers are simple folk. They won't be putting no innocent url's in
>these spams...

Spammers might be simple folk, but serious crackers (not the script
kiddies) certainly are not.  If there comes to be a widely deployed
tool with this sort of fetch-what-I-tell-you-to behaviour, then it
will get exploited by people wanting to do a denial of service
attack or similar.  Why bother sending out your own IRC-controlled
worm, when there's already remote-controllable spamfilters ready
and waiting to pound a site into the ground?  After all, writing
(and releasing) a worm is already recognized as a crime, but the
legality of just sending out a not-as-innocent-as-it-looks email
blast is still in contention...

- Alex