[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied - QUESTION

bill parducci bill at parducci.net
Mon Mar 31 17:55:40 EST 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
>>>  url:check.myspam.com
>>>  url:check.myspam.com/ad
>>>  url:check.myspam.com/ad/junk
>
> Those are probably one-shot hapaxes (i.e., worthless, except for catching
> copies of the same spam).  If you own a domain xyz.com, then you can make up
> all the ABC.xyz.com targets you like, and spammers generally do.  ABC
> doesn't repeat often except in copies of the same spam.

empirically i am not so sure. below are links that have been arriving
daily in my trolling account (each listed twice per note, one supposedly
in case you are having problems with the other):

http://www.nudesletter.com/schoolgirl-FEB/index.html
http://www.nudesletter.com/auditions-SC/index.html
http://www.nudesletter.com/8thstreet-ND/index.html
http://www.nudesletter.com/multi-FEB/index.html
http://www.nudesletter.com/russians-WG/index.html

while the goal is the same (traffic to www.nudesletter.com), each day
the url changes. there are a number of other spam threads that work
similarly.

>>therefore, in the case of url parsing, it would seem that less
>>[granularity] is more [accuracy].
>
> Test and measure.

you left off 'write code' before 'test and measure'. i am still coming
up to speed there so for me this will have to stay in the theoretical
for the time being.