[Spambayes] Training via IMAP Filter

Abhay Saxena ark3 at email.com
Tue May 13 15:58:51 EDT 2003

Congratulations on all your great work so far. I'm in the "long time
listener, first time caller" category, so to speak (Tim Peters: I'm the
guy who shook your hands -- yes, both of them -- at the recent PyCon).

I have a pretty basic email setup: UW IMAP running on FreeBSD 4.7 or
so. I decided to follow David Abrahams' guide, since his setup is not
that different from mine. I was able to set up hammiefilter.py using
procmail very easily, but training using imapfilter.py has turned out
to be a little more difficult. Let me ask some (hopefully) easy
questions now. I can get into the details of the trouble I'm having
later, if it turns out to be necessary.

1. Has anyone tested imapfilter.py with UW IMAP
(http://www.washington.edu/imap/)? I've included a snippet of server
output below.

2. Have there been any (important) changes to imaplib since 2.2.2? Some
stuff that I expected to work didn't work; I'm not sure if that's due
to a bug or due to changes in imaplib. I'll elaborate if it becomes an
issue.

3. Why would imapfilter.py try to modify the contents of my IMAP
folders if all I'm asking for is training? In particular, when I run
training, it starts with my inbox and immediately chokes on an
imap.append(...). I find that a duplicate of the first message has
appeared in my inbox.

To clarify: I'm not trying to figure out why it chokes; obviously I
haven't provided you enough information. I simply would like to know
why imapfilter.py is doing an imap.append(...) for what seems to me to
be a read-only operation.

Thanks for your help.

   - Abhay

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN]
localhost IMAP4rev1 2002.332 at Tue, 13 May 2003 14:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

Python 2.2.2 (#1, Jan 15 2003, 03:26:24)
[GCC 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]] on freebsd4