[Spambayes] Re: ham/unsure/spam split

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon May 19 10:36:17 EDT 2003

    Toby> Does your system treat 'unsures' differently to hams?

Yes.  All unsures go into an unsure mailbox.  I train on all of them, on a
smattering of the spams which score less than 0.95, and any hams I notice
which score above 0.00.

    Toby> If you are treating hams and unsures differently, I would be
    Toby> interested to hear how. Is this a case for extending the current
    Toby> three-way categorisation with a fourth 'high spam' category, and
    Toby> adding high_spam_cutoff?

I don't think that's generally necessary.  I think I get more spam than the
average person, so it makes sense for me to distiguish between the .99's and
the rest of the messages which score as spam.  Here's how my mail was
classified for 2003-05-17:

    unsure:     15
    spam:      620
    ham:       693

As you can see, it's not a big problem to simply toss all the unsures into
their own mailbox.  No other special treatment is necessary.

Skip