[Spambayes] sharing split database

bill parducci bill at parducci.net
Tue May 20 10:32:52 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I don't know about that.  If I send you a message I have a reasonable
> expectation that you aren't going to contribute my email address to a
> database shared by many people, even if the message I send you is
> transmitted over the internet in the clear.  The chance that my email
> address might be harvested out of a database where it sits waiting for
> someone to come along and grab it is much greater than during its fleeting
> existence on the net.

...someone with *query* access to the database. that seems about as
likely as someone having read access to your mail spool, et al. file(s)
on the server (where supposition isn't necessary, the mail can just be
read).

> We always tend to think that "big brother" is who we have most to fear.  I
> suspect in most of our daily lives it's actually our next door neighbor.

the admin next door, maybe, but if this is written correctly, the
neighbor shouldn't have a clue. the best that your neighbor could do
would be to prospect the database by sending repeated individual token
requests. not sure what could be derived from that.