[Spambayes] SB in CGL

bill parducci bill at parducci.net
Wed May 21 13:56:16 EDT 2003

you know, i have had excellent results taking only binary actions from
spambayes. if hammiefilter says it is spam, procmail shuffles it to the
spam folder, otherwise it goes to the inbox. since i would have to sift
through the unsure folder anyway i don't much care if unsures go to my
inbox. besides, after a little training that became pretty much a
non-issue. also, it made the whole process easier to explain to my less
technical users (if it is in the wrong folder put it in the OTHER one :o)

elegance through versatility, it's a beautiful thing. ;-)

John Bollinger wrote:

[...]

> "SB can filter out spam with amazing accuracy. In
> order to get it to work one first has to train it,
> which is quite simple. Just accumulate a bunch of spam
> in one mailbox and a bunch of ham in the other then
> tell SB to train. A couple of hundred of each will get
> you started, but the more the merrier. SB uses three
> mailboxes, one for ham--most likely your inbox, one
> for spam and one for items that it is unsure
> about--you'll need to create these. After your
> finished training and the program is running if you
> get a spam in your inbox just drag it to the spam box
> and SB learns a bit. Items in the unsure box need to
> be dispatched to the inbox or the spambox; again SB
> learns when you do so. After a while you'll end up
> with a very efficient system for dealing with spam,
> without legislation!

[...]