[Spambayes] Prerequisites

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri May 23 15:25:53 EDT 2003

> I'm running a small office network and using Outlook 2002 on
> Windows XP Pro. Spam is almost unmanageable. I don't have
> Python 2.x. Is it something I can download so I can download
> and install SpamBayes?

There are two things here:
  1.  You should be able to download the Outlook plugin binary and
install that, and that's all you need (i.e. no need for Python).
  2.  There are known issues with the current installer and
Windows/Outlook XP.

Some people using Windows/Outlook XP have used the installer and
everything is fine.  For others, it's not.  We haven't managed to figure
out what the difference is yet - I think Mark suspected that it was
Outlook 2002 SP-1, but that might not be the case.

So you should download the installer and give it a go.  Please let us
know if it does install correctly, and which version (exactly) of
Windows/Outlook you're using.

If it doesn't, you have two options:
  1. Wait for the next binary, which hopefully will fix this problem
(and hopefully this is due in the next fortnight).
  2. Install Python (from http://www.python.org), download the alpha2
release and use that.  The Python installer is nice and simple to use,
but the alpha2 isn't so much (which is why there is the binary).

HTH.