[Spambayes] SpamBayes and Unread Flag

David Scavo david.scavo at kmaone.com
Tue May 27 15:26:55 EDT 2003

Hi. I read about SpamBayes in an article in Infoworld. Previously I was using SpamAssassin, but I wanted to try out Bayesian filtering to see how it would compare. So far today, SPAMBayes has only let 1 of 18 SPAM messages through (pretty darn good). The real test is a weekend, when I get 250-350 SPAMs..

However, I do have a minor problem with SPAMBayes.

I am running Windows XP SP1 with Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821). I installed 002 using the binary installer. I also have ActiveSync 3.6 installed (for my IPAQ 3765 Pocket PC), but my IPAQ has not been connected today. I did a complete uninstall of SpamAssassin before installing SPAMBayes. The backend server is Exchange 2000 SP2.

What is happening is that random messages near the top of my Inbox keep getting their Unread flag reset (so they go from normal type back to BOLD type). Sometimes the message does not change to unread when you double-click and open it (ie it stays BOLD). Sometimes it changes to unread when you open it, but then while the message is open it turns back to unread (ie BOLD). It seems to happen mostly when a new SPAM message comes in, but I have seen it happen even when no new SPAM arrives. I am unable to reproduce the problem at will, be it has happened at least 15-20 times today.

If I go into Tools / Options / Other / Advanced Options / Com Addins and uncheck SpamBayes (and restart Outlook), I don't see the problem anymore....

I would be glad to supply whatever information would help you track down this problem. Other than this minor annoyance, SPAMBayes is working great.....

Thanks.

David Scavo
KMA One
Director of Technology