[Spambayes] possible feature request: ham training from Unsurefolder

Seth Goodman sethg at GoodmanAssociates.com
Tue Nov 4 16:12:13 EST 2003

> > If this is correct, I think it exposes a minor weakness.  This is
> > based on the premise that SpamBayes should only train on messages
> > that the system cannot already classify correctly.  This assumes that
> > the reason for not training on all messages is, as other folks have
> > pointed out, that classification accuracy suffers when the training
> > corpus is too large (around 10K messages).  If these assumptions are
> > correct, then why not train on *all* messages in the Unsure folder
> > when the user manually classifies them?  The resulting feature
> > request would be that when the Unsure folder is selected, SpamBayes
> > should display *two* classification buttons:  "Delete As Spam" and
> > "Keep As Good".  The "Keep As Good" button would work exactly like
> > the "Recover from spam" button in the Spam folder, that is, move the
> > message back to its' original watched folder and train on the message
> > as ham.
>
> This is exactly what *should* be happening when you select your Unsure
> folder.  You should see both the "Delete As Spam" and "Recover From
> Spam" buttons.  If this isn't what you see, could you possibly send a
> copy of your spambayes1.log file and maybe some screen caps of your
> toolbar and your filtering configuration in SpamBayes Manager to the
> list?
>
> --
> Kenny Pitt

I reset the configuration, retrained and verified all the folder selections.
I didn't make any changes, except to add the SpamBayes Spam folder to the
spam training list, though it didn't contain any messages at the time.  When
in the Unsure folder, I now see that the SpamBayes toolbar does not fit
where I placed it and there is a continuation symbol, which I probably
missed before, on the right edge.  Moving things around so all the toolbars
fit, I now see that both buttons display when in the Unsure folder.

Looks like this is a clear case of "pilot error".  Thanks for your patience.

Seth Goodman