[Spambayes] Outlook add-in is SICK and needs help!

Sean True seant at iname.com
Mon Nov 10 09:28:18 EST 2003

> > I fully realize that this is free software and that those who
> > wrote it have to spend some time on their day jobs.
>
> I can make about one hour per week for spambayes, and since I have no
> problems of any kind with the Outlook addin, usually spend it
> analyzing
> "high unsures", looking for tricks we may be missing.  If I
> had a problem
> with the Outlook addin, I'd spend my hour on that instead.
> Someone who does
> have a problem is going to have to volunteer to track it down
> to the bitter
> end, or pay someone to do that for them.  Another possibility
> is to give the
> Inboxer trial version a shot, and pay for it if it doesn't
> have the same
> problem (I don't know whether they see the same kinds of
> mystery problems,
> but it's possible that they don't).

Oh, if only that were true. We have few reports of this. Not many,
mostly from people installing (attempting to install) on systems with
Outlook Express instead of Outlook. I believe we saw a few before we
tightened
up the "detect Netscape as a really incompatible MAPI provider" logic.

And most recently, I discovered that installing a Python 2.3 based binary on
top
of a 2.2 based binary (without uninstalling first) provokes a lovely error
of
this flavor.

I promptly built a mandatory uninstall into our installer.

BTW, for those that are wondering ... Tim is absolutely right about the
nightmare that is Outlook.
4 different versions to support, two different operating systems, and a
hostile debugging environment.
I finally spent a day figuring out how to use the remote debugger inside
ActiveState Komodo to debug the binary addin
in Outlook ... just so I could figure out which of 300 lines was incurring
the 20 MB memory leak ... only in the binary.

Still, if enough of your non-technical friends buy it, it might turn into a
living.

-- Sean