[Spambayes] I am a new spambayes user

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:11:02 EST 2003

Pamela Walsh wrote:
> Since Monday morning I still train every night but get the following
> message:
> Found 0 spam, 0 unsure, and 0 good ones (3050 errors)
>
> How do I get back to training w/good results?
> I am a pc novice, and have 0 technical skills/lingo.

I'll assume that you're running the Outlook plugin.  I don't remember
hearing about this problem before, so we'll need a little extra
information in order to diagnose it.  I'll try to walk you through the
required steps.

First, open SpamBayes Manager, go to the Advanced tab, and click the
Diagnostics button.  In the box labeled "Log file verbosity", change the
value to 3 and then close out of the dialog and SpamBayes Manager.

Now perform whatever training operation caused the error.  If the error
doesn't happen immediately, you'll have to wait until the next time you
see the error to perform the remaining steps.

verbosity" back to 0, and then click "View log".  This will bring up the
Notepad application with a log file containing lots of info that will be
useful to us.  Use the "File|Save As" menu option to save a copy of the
file.  Name it something easy to remember like "sb_log.txt", and put it
in a directory that you will be able to find again later.  You can now
close Notepad, the Diagnostics dialog, and SpamBayes Manager.

Finally, send another e-mail to the list and attach the log file that
you just saved.  In that e-mail, please also include the following
information:

  * A description of how you went about performing the training.
  * A description of the exact problem as you saw it while recording the
log file.
  * Your operating system version (Windows 98, Windows XP, etc)
  * Your Outlook version (Outlook 2000, etc.)
  * The SpamBayes version information from the General tab in SpamBayes
Manager.

--
Kenny Pitt