[Spambayes] RE: AT & T Patent on tricking Anti-Spam-Tools

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Sun Nov 16 09:42:16 EST 2003

Arguably, all software patents are bad. But that said, it's hard to see the practical effect of this one as anything but good. If ATT doesn't enforce it, we're no worse off than we are now. If they do enforce it, it stands to increase spammers' legal exposure and/or their cost of doing business. Or, if they have to stop using the patented algorithm, maybe it will decrease the effectiveness of their activity.

Bob