[Spambayes] RE: [spambayes-dev] Reviewing trained messages

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 25 00:38:49 EST 2003

> Could you consider an entry in the FAQ section
> on how to access the database of messages which
> have been trained - i.e. in the case that you
> misclassify a message and want to sort it out?

This is a little complicated.  Basically you need to find out the id of the
message (it's in the headers), and then use the "Find Message" query on the
main page of the web interface to find it.  You can then train it, and if
the training changes, it'll do the correct untraining as necessary.  Once
the message is gone from the cache, though, you can't do this (by default
they stay there 7 days, but 'discard' also removes them).  There are other
ways, but this is probably the simplest.

In a future version (it's in cvs, I think it's intended for 1.1a1), you can
use the 'find message' query to search by more than id.  So you could search
for messages in the caches that have a certain subject, for example.  You're
then presented with a review page that, instead of listing recently arrived,
untrained, mail, lists all messages (in the caches) that match the query.
You can do the normal train/discard actions from there.

> In my case I have a message that was correctly
> classified, but it seems like it was not delivered
> to my Outlook Express inbox - a little odd I know,
> but if I could access the "already trained" database
> I could see if this is really the case or not.

This is a different question.  You say it was correctly classified - did you
train on it?  If not, then you should be able to see it in the regular
review page.  If you did, then it arrived (otherwise it wouldn't be there).
You can bring it up again if you know the id (unlikely), but otherwise
you'll have to wade through the ham/spam cache directories to find it (if
you have a tool like grep available, you could search through them - they're
just text copies of the messages).