[Spambayes] Simple and direct help with Netscape integration

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Sun Oct 5 20:37:45 EDT 2003

> I have to admit that I am not sure from the text files as
> to exactly how to configure my Netscape 7 to interact with spambayes
> which I have downloaded together with the suggested version
> of Python.
> Can someone give me simple directions as to what I put
> where in which file to get this program up and running with
> Netscape?

Basically you need to:
 * Configure Netscape to get mail from "localhost" rather than from your
mail server "pop.example.com".
 * Run "setup.py install" in the directory you expanded the spambayes
archive into.
 * Run "sb_server.py -b" in the directory that it was installed into
(probably "c:\python23\scripts").
 * Click on the configuration link at the top right of the browser
window that opens.
 * Enter in your mail server details (top couple of sections).
 * Click "Save and Shutdown"
 * Run "sb_server.py" - you'll need to have this running whenever you
check mail, so you need to organise that.  If you're using Windows, then
you can use the "pop3proxy_tray.py" application in the windows directory
of the directory you expanded the spambayes archive into instead.

What would greatly help *us*, is if you could let us know exactly what
in the readme.txt file was too complicated, so that we can improve it
for future users.