[Spambayes] Update to 0.81 deleted md db

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 09:42:28 EDT 2003

    Kenneth> Loose the attitude Mark. I am not spouting unreasonable
    Kenneth> demands. I am making a reasonable suggestion.

    Kenneth> MS SQL Server gives the user the ability to backup DB's, as
    Kenneth> dose MSDE, and Pervasive Server likewise. Outlook gives the
    Kenneth> user the ability to export thereby creating a backup.

    Kenneth> Are you not able to see that what I am asking would help
    Kenneth> improve your software??

You seem to think Mark is getting rich off SpamBayes.  He contributes a lot
of his own time, and for all I know, all he gets is attaboys from the
SpamBayes community.  This is open source software.  Mark gets to do work on
whatever floats his boat.  No manager is breathing down his neck to satisfy
a cranky customer.

I don't know if Mark is using WISE or InnoSetup to create the installer for
the Outlook plugin.  In either case, I'll bet you a quarter that it's in
CVS, right where you can check it out and change it.  If you contribute the
change back to the project (use the patch submission form on
<http://sf.net/projects/spambayes/>) I suspect your change will be
incorporated into the installer.  At minimum, you will have to

    * ask the user if they want to back up the database

    * if yes, ask the user where it is (the location is configurable, not
      static)

    * figure out where to copy it

Skip